If the police take your property when they search or arrest you, they must give you a document that acts as a receipt. Each law enforcement agency has its own form to act as a receipt, and these documents most often contain a line for you to sign acknowledging the officer provided you a copy of the receipt, and/or that the receipt is accurate. You are entitled to a receipt that is correct and complete. If the receipt is incorrect or incomplete, do not sign it, and ask for the receipt to be corrected. You do not have to sign the receipt to have your property returned. Tell your attorney if the receipt given to you is incomplete.